[DANDOM-NYC] Aja Night Setlist and Report

jwilliamlll at socal.rr.com jwilliamlll at socal.rr.com
Fri Sep 23 09:37:44 EDT 2011

Jim,

Please find submittal below. As always, edit, use, or discard at your
discretion.

Best regards,

Bill Brennan

SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER

Home at Last:

Aja Night at the Beacon, 19 Sept 2011,
Setlist and Report

  Intro: Dizzy's Bidness ~9:00 PM

  Aja (Album)

  Your Gold Teeth
  Black Friday
  Hey 19
  Lunch With Gina
  Show Biz Kids
  Time Out Of Mind
  Godwhacker
  Rikki
  Dirty Work
  Papa Don't Mess/Band Intros
  My Old School
  Bodhisattva
  Reelin' In The Years

  Encore: Kid Charlemagne
  Outro: Untouchables Theme, ~11:35 PM

Earlier this year I saw Aja performed at the Greek in LA, and
tonight's performance of the album was the equal of that show.
In other words, both were excellent as far as I could tell. One nice
addition tonight was that after Roger Rosenberg started his
solo at the end of Black Cow, Chris Potter came out and completed the
solo on the front mike. Taking the seven numbers as a whole,
from my perspective I have been spoiled by perfection.

Donald was quite ebullient tonight, after a well deserved standing
ovation at the end of Josie. After his normal introdution, he started
beating his towel on the Keyboard, shouting, "Steve Allen! Steve
Allen!" When the house didn't respond, he said (rough quotation
here), 'that was Steve Allen, which was recognized by no one,
apparently.' I confess that I have not seen enough of the late Mr.
Allen to remember that myself.

A few minutes later, Donald unexpectedly addressed some audience
members. After (I think) the first chorus of YGT, some of the
audience got up for a bathroom/bar break. Probably no more than
normal, but it seemed as if they did it on cue, and some of them were
right down in front of Donald. So he said, "You're not allowed to
leave!" One would think that a single admonishment would be enough,
but during Black Friday it was more of the same, so Donald quipped,
"Are you gettin' high in the bathroom?" I am pretty sure that he said
one or two other things that I could not make out.

Getting back to the show, Mr. Becker was in fine form tonight,
executing part of the Aja guitar solo with Jon, and soloing on Home
at Last and Josie. He was at his best tonight on Godwhacker, IMHO.

For lunch with Gina, Beard took over Rhodes duties for Donald. This
selection was a nice surprise, and an obvious hint of things to come
on Friday.

Rikki was a another surprise tonight; even if this is not your
favorite SD tune, the guitar work by Walter and Jon make it worth
hearing.

To sum up, the band is clearly happy to be home, and they are acting
and performing like it.

SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER