[DANDOM-NYC] SPOILER: 9/17- Rarities & B-Sides, A Dream Come True!

by way of Dandom Digest Submittals GirlMargaret at aol.com
Wed Sep 21 23:48:52 EDT 2011

To write a review of the events of Saturday night
any sooner than tonight would have been
impossible.  I feel as though I have been basking
in the afterglow of the most amazing of dreams
for the last several days.  Was I really there?
Did what happen REALLY happen?  It was
incredible: I was at Beacon Theater, with my
Danfriends and family, and hearing songs played
live - right in front of me! - that I'd never
imagine I'd hear live ever!  And all those
wonderful people that were there, it must have
been a dream!  I haven't seen some of these folks
in years, and all of a sudden I'm embracing them
once more.  There's my Steely Parents Ed and LWO,
my Steely sistahs SueDave and Lady Bayside, my
long lost partner in crime Danfiend, and so many
wonderful friends who round out my divine
Danfamily: Alan, Joe, Hoops, Lisa G, Big Fan,
Pete and Shari, and my token Canadian, Randy J
Where else but in my wildest dreams could I be
sharing the same space with these people and
hearing The fucking Bear?!

Forget The Bear (or has the bear forgotten you?).
Let's start with some of the other songs I'd
never thought I'd hear, period.  Your Gold Teeth?
God, does that song bring back some very fond
memories.  To be honest, the dream was a little
too real when I started hearing some of those old
chestnuts being played to me for the 900th time
(Hey 19, anyone?), although, to be fair, I have
said and meant that as long as SD is playing, I
will go see them, even if they're playing the
same twenty songs over and over again.  But fer
cryin' out loud, this was the Rarities and
B-Sides night!  Put those AM Gold hits away and
start hitting me with those bolts of lightning.

Before I go any further, I should point out that
I was four rows back from Jon Herington, sitting
next to my dear friend, Danfiend.  We haven't
seen each other in five years, and it was like we
never parted company.  I've been having just as
much fun with her at these shows as I was on the
2006 tour.  The young'ns ride again!

So the two of us are reacting the same to every
song - "Hey 19 is a rarity my ass!" - and begging
Donald to please "shock us" with something we
would never expect.  It started with The Bear
(holy shit, they're doing The Bear!!!), which I,
in my efforts to remain surprised and avoided all
spoiler alerts, was completely surprised by (even
though I did hear Herington mention it in
conversation two nights earlier).  As Donald was
telling a story to introduce the song, I
literally stopped breathing, and had myself so
worked up that I caused to have an acid reflux
attack and came thisclose to puking in the aisle.
It was worth it.

Several other acid reflux attacks stemming from
my excitement would take place that night.  I was
beyond stoked to hear Walter sing "Jack of
Speed", because IMHO the 1996 version is the best
ever.  EVER.  However, this disco version
certainly blindsided me ("What the hell is this?
I can't follow the beat."), and even seemed to
stump Walter at times.  But it was still pretty
awesome.

Then we enter into what I swear was one of the
greatest moments I've ever experienced in my
lifetime.  In my memory book of Steely Dan
concerts, this one will be highlighted and
earmarked til my final days.  Donald starts
talking about Gaucho and the master tapes
incident and how this one song was pretty much
gone, but hey let's play it tonight.  Cut to me
and Danfiend clinging to the edges of our seats,
squealing,
"Ohmygodthey'regonnaplaySecondArrangement!"  And
lo and behold, I hear those magical opening notes
of The Second Arrangement.  The Second fucking
Arrangement!  To say I love love love that song
is a massive understatement, how does one
describe the beauty of such majesty?  The tears
started welling in my eyes, as I drank in this
magical moment, thinking especially of the late
Bill Griffin (SpongeBill), who always had a soft
spot for that song.  I can only hope he was
looking down at us that night and singing along.
They finish the song, Danfiend and I lose our
minds with applause, and Donald mentions that
"This next song we get a lot of requests for, but
don't play it a lot, but tonight we're going to"
(Me: Oh god, it's gonna be Rikki Don't Lost That
Number).  And damn, if Donald didn't hit me again
with shock as he played the opening chords of Dr.
Wu.  DOCTOR FUCK WU!  Danfiend and I lost it all
over again, as we both burst into tears and gave
each other a big hug.  Seriously, how in the name
of Jeff Porcaro do you top hearing The Second
Arrangement AND Doctor Wu back to friggin back
live by Steely Dan?  Answer: You don't.  You
can't!  Ok, MAYBE if they pulled me onstage and
let me sing with them.  But as long as I'm having
this magnificent dream, I won't push my luck.

So the evening of rarities and awesomeness
continues with The Embassy Brats(!) performing a
song Donald and Walter wrote for Thomas Jefferson
Kaye called "American Lover."  Personally, this
one was a huge surprise because not only was I
not familiar with the song (a rarity for me at a
Dan concert, period), but because it was a song
D+W wrote for someone else.  What's next, a Jay
and the Americans medley (DO IT)?  Not my
favorite surprise of the evening, but damn if I
don't love Catherine Russell's voice on lead.

So the evening wears on, they close with "My Old
School" and walk off, then I expect them to come
back on and play something like "Reelin in the
Years".  Thankfully I was proven wrong, as Donald
said "We're gonna do what WE wanna do!" and
announced that for their final song, they would
end the show like they did back in '74 and do
"This All Too Mobile Home".

HOLY. FUCKING. SHIT.

SERIOUSLY?!?!

Cut to Danfiend and me jumping up and down
screaming in the aisle, while I high-fived Big
Fan who had the good fortune (or misfortune,
you'd have to ask him) to be sitting behind us.
Talk about a dream!  If they got out the Ouija
board and scared up Jeff Porcaro and Jim Hodder
that song couldn't have been any better.

Now let's be honest for a minute: we all know how
we know these songs.  Don and Walt know.  They're
not stupid.  But I did wonder for a moment if it
was right to sing along with the unreleased
 songs, as I have now made it obvious that I'm
the owner of one or two (dozen) "special"
recordings.  Like Walter was gonna stop the song
halfway thru and point to us and scream "BUSTED!"

Thankfully he didn't, and thankfully the best
band in the world finally gave in and played some
of the songs that we diehards have been
fantasizing about hearing live for years and
years.

When the house lights came on, I dropped to the
floor and declared "You can literally scrape me
off the floor now."

There's only thing that could have made this show
better, and that's if it was at Roseland
Ballroom, so I could stand shoulder to shoulder
with the rest of my Danfamily and cry and laugh
and sing along together.  Incidentally, that's
where I was first introduced to most of you
exactly 8 years ago.

What truly solidified the fact that this was
nothing more than a glamorous dream was that it
all happened in a whirlwind.  One moment I was
saying hello to people I haven't seen in two
years, the next I'm saying goodbye to them.  When
I awoke the next morning, I felt like Dorothy
Gale, waking up back at the farmhouse.  "I had
the most wonderful dream, and you were thereŠand
youŠand youŠ"