{DANDOM-NYC] SPOILER: Beacon Theater Review 12/6

by way of Dandom Digest Submittals GMH930 at aol.com
Tue Dec 7 12:20:40 EST 2010

I saw the Beacon show on Monday night, December 6. This was, in
essence, a make-up show for all the New York fans who missed the
cancelled Jones Beach concert during the summer. (Thanks, Hurricane
Earl!) The Beacon crowd was remarkably restrained during the rousing
show. Only at the end did they really get crazy, standing on their
feet and dancing in the aisles. Donald seemed very happy to be up
there, and was looking very good, with trademark dark shades and
suit. Donald acted as host, putting little comments in here and
there. My favorite joke was about how the group could no longer call
themselves Dukes of September, since it was now December.

I have to confess I was a little worried I would not get into the
songs, since I am strictly a Steely Dan fan, and not really into
50s/60s stuff. But I'm happy to say all the songs were accessible,
whether you are a fan of that era's music or not. The feeling of the
concert was like a sing-along at a friend's house, with everyone
singing their favorite tunes. I was shocked that the show went on 2
hours and 40 minutes with NO INTERMISSION. AMAZING! AND FANTASTIC!
Everyone had so much energy. The only disappointment of the evening
(minor) were the T-shirts. Nothing even tempted me to pluck down
$40--none of the T-shirts had the guy's faces on them. However, it
was nice to see Donald's three-CD Nightfly anthology available for
purchase...

Overall, the experience was different (in a refreshing and fun way)
from your average Steely Dan show.

Now, onto the songs...

I don't have the set list down per se, but these were definitely the
highlights.

Sookie Sookie was the opener.
Green Flower Street
Shakedown Street [performed by Donald]
Rock Steady [performed by Carolyn Leonhart] --she did a GREAT job--IMPRESSIVE
Takin' it to the Streets--everyone got on their feet for this one
What a Fool Believes
Love TKO [performed by Boz]
Lowdown [great, performed by Boz]
IGY [for me, BEST SONG OF THE NIGHT. Donald's version here rivaled
the album version.]
Peg
Pretzel Logic [EXCELLENT, of  course Michael sang the line about the 'shoes']
Something in the Air [60s pop-folk number performed by Donald]
You Never Can Tell [performed by Boz, it's from Pulp Fiction]
Love Train
Reeling in the Years [excellent]
Help Me Rhonda [they really sounded like the beach boys up there]

Backup singer Catherine Russell and Jon Herrington was also amazing.

I hope they record these for posterity. Reminds me very much of Rock
and Soul shows in early 90s...